Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering
Call for nominations 2015
The EFCE is pleased to announce the 2015 Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering to recognise a PhD thesis published in the preceding four-year period, which demonstrates an outstanding contribution to research and/or practice in Product Design and Engineering. This document describes how this award series will operate and the rules and procedures governing nomination and selection of candidates.
The award will comprise:
- A certificate
- A cash award of EUR 1,500
- A travel grant (not exceeding EUR 500) to attend the European Conference on Product Design and Engineering where the award will be presented
The 2015 EFCE Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering will be presented at the 5th European Symposium on Product Design and Engineering which will be held in conjunction with the 10th European Congress of Chemical Engineering (ECCE10) and 3rd European Congress on Applied Biotechnology (ECAB3) in Nice, France, on 27 September to 1 October 2015. (Congress website: http://www.ecce2015.eu ).
PhD theses published between 01.01.2011 and 31.12.2014 may be nominated for evaluation.
|Closing date for nominations is
20 March 2015
- The award is presented to researchers or engineers in the early stage of their careers, who have made excellent contributions to Product Design and Engineering.
- Nominations may be submitted by
- PhD supervisors at a PhD-awarding institution in an EFCE Member Country, or
- Members of a national or regional member association of EFCE
- Self-nominations are excluded
- No more than one nomination can be submitted by the same person
- The nominated PhD thesis must address a topic relevant to the field of Product Design and Engineering.
- The nominated PhD thesis must have been completed and published and the PhD degree examined and awarded during the four calendar years preceding the closing date for nominations.
Nomination procedure, supporting documentation and closing date
Nominations should be submitted as PDF files via email to the "EFCE Excellence Award PDE Jury " (e-mail: ).
Supporting documentation: nominations should be submitted as a single package and must contain the following information:
- Name, address, and CV of the nominee,
- Name and address of the nominator,
- Title of PhD thesis,
- Date work commenced and date when the PhD thesis was defended,
- Two letters of recommendation in English (no more than two pages each), from two independent referees, as well as one letter of recommendation in English from the nominator (no more than two pages), outlining the key contribution to Product Design and Engineering and stating clearly why the contribution is considered to be truly outstanding and thus deserving the Excellence Award,
- An extended abstract in English (maximum 10 pages) containing the following information:
- problem addressed,
- state of the art,
- key innovations,
- applications, implementations and results,
- Upon request, a copy of the thesis as published (this will be returned after the evaluation is completed).
Note that all of the above documentation must be submitted together as a complete package. Except for the PhD thesis, all other documents should be submitted electronically. The PhD thesis should be sent only when requested. Nominations which do not conform to these requirements will not be considered.
- Deadline: nominations must be submitted to reach the Excellence Award Committee no later than the announced deadline. Late nominations will not be considered.
Publication of selected work
The successful candidate will be invited to make a presentation at the European Symposium on Product Design and Engineering at which the Award is presented.
Download of the press release
© DECHEMA e.V. last update March 03, 2015