Excellence Award in Thermodynamics and Transport Properties
Call for nominations 2015
The EFCE presents a biennial Excellence Award to recognise a PhD thesis and associated papers published in the preceding two-year period, which demonstrate an outstanding contribution to research and/or practice in Thermodynamics and/or Transport Properties. This document describes how this award series will operate and the rules and procedures governing nomination and selection of candidates.
The award will comprise:
- A certificate
- A cash award of EUR 1500
- A travel grant (not exceeding EUR 500) and fee waiver to attend the conference where the award will be presented
The EFCE Excellence Award in Thermodynamics and Transport Properties 2015 will be presented at the 28th European Symposium on Applied Thermodynamics - ESAT 2015, which will be held in Athens, Greece, from 11 to 14 June 2015.
PhD theses published between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2014 may be nominated for evaluation.
The closing date for submission of nominations is
31 January 2015.
- The award is presented to scientists or engineers in the early stage of their careers, who have made excellent contribution in advancing knowledge in Thermodynamics and/or Transport Properties. The research work evaluated should have been performed in an institution in an EFCE member country.
- Nominations may be submitted by:
- PhD supervisors at a PhD-awarding institution in an EFCE member country, or
- Members of a national or regional member association of EFCE.
- Nominations from members of the Working Party subcommittee are not accepted.
- Self-nominations are excluded.
- No more than one nomination can be submitted by the same person.
- The nominated PhD thesis and publication(s) must address a topic relevant to the field of Thermodynamics and/or Transport Properties.
- The nominated PhD thesis must have been completed and published during the two calendar years preceding the closing date for nominations and the PhD degree examined and awarded.
Nomination procedure, supporting documentation and closing date
Nominations should be submitted as PDF files via email to the "EFCE Thermodynamics and Transport Properties Award Committee" ( ).
Supporting documentation: nominations should be submitted as a single package and must contain the following information:
- Name, address and CV of the nominee,
- Name and address of the nominator,
- Title of the PhD thesis,
- Date work commenced and date when the PhD thesis was defended,
- A list of refereed publications in international journals that resulted from the thesis and in which the nominee is one of the authors,
- Letters of recommendation from the primary PhD thesis supervisor and two additional independent referees outlining the key contribution of the thesis to Thermodynamics and/or Transport Properties and stating clearly why the contribution is considered to be truly outstanding and thus deserving the Excellence Award,
- An extended abstract of the PhD thesis in English (maximum 10 pages) containing the following information:
- problem addressed,
- state of the art,
- key innovations,
- applications, implementations and results,
- Upon request a copy of the thesis, as published (this will be returned after the evaluation is completed),
- Copies of up to the two most important publications in international journals, preferably in English, resulted from the thesis and where the nominee is the first author.
Note that all of the above documentation must be submitted together as a complete package. Except for the PhD thesis, all other documents should be submitted electronically. The PhD thesis should be sent only when requested. Nominations which do not conform to these requirements will not be considered.
- Deadline: nominations must be submitted to reach the Excellence Award Committee no later than 31 January 2015. Late nominations will not be considered.
Publication of selected work
The successful candidate will be invited to make a presentation at the European Symposium on Applied Thermodynamics at which the Award is presented. The presentation will be published in the proceedings of the conference.
© DECHEMA e.V. last update October 06, 2014